Luis Cañas Winery - Precision, modern technology, traditional approach19. Ledna 2018
● Four generations of a modest family
● Effort, perseverance, passion for good things and a clear philosophy of viticulture.
The history of our family - the Luis Cañas family - has been written for four generations.
● For more than a century, our family has been engaged in the production and sale of traditional
of young wines which are produced by the method of carbon maceration (whole grapes). This
the wine was produced in the ancient cellar of Cueva de los Curas dug in the ground,
which still shapes the landscape of this region.
● Past wine was carried by Carlos Cañas, father of Luis Cañas (who is now 87 years old)
on caravan towed mule over the Cantabrian Mountains and the Montes de Vitoria Mountains to
the areas bordering Bilbao and San Sebastián, more than 100 km from the city
● In 1928, the founder of Luis Cañas Winery was born. Perfectionist and thug like
few have always motivated pride and the desire to have the highest quality vineyards and so on
fall and high quality sparkling wine. The wines then swept up the taste buds
of the great wine merchants who were at Alhóndiga de
● In 1970, Luis Cañas began selling vintage young wine until then
sold only in barrels. In the same year, we set up Cueva de los Curas
a winery bearing our name, where we turn our passion for grapevine, which is
a true source of high quality wines in the Rioja Alavesa area.
● We come out of the belief that "only the best grapes can emerge
the best wines ", from which our obsession with vineyards originates.
● In the heart of Rioja Alavesa, our vineyards are protected by the Cantabrian Mountains.
This is undoubtedly one of the best wine regions in the world. Small vineyard
area and advanced age are characterized by their location. They are in little
fertile clay-calcareous soils, mostly on slopes and terraces with ideal
microclimate and position that makes them unique.
● Due to these conditions, the grapevine produces a small amount of grapes of small size,
of excellent quality. On an area of approximately 400 hectares, on which the vineyards lie
owned and managed by the winery, is almost 900 parcels.
● Respect for the environment and effort of each human article involved in the production process is
the key to winning the benefits of a rational winery. Rational winery is
a system of agriculture that best favors natural resources and
mechanisms to ensure viable agriculture in the future. Biological a
chemical means and other methods are carefully selected to be in balance with
protection of the environment. Use of herbicides, synthetic fertilizers and aggressive
preparations or methods are strictly forbidden to protect the environment; and
preserving the enhanced grapevine immunity, which makes it able to defend itself from it
various influences. To accomplish this work we have a special department on which
an agricultural engineer, an agricultural engineer, an oenologist, and eight workers who are
pure craftsmen in vineyards.
● Our goal is to have a healthy ground (which is undoubtedly the best heritage that
we can leave it to future generations) and thus also healthy fruits and wines.
The challenge is for us to find perfect wines.
● The artistic work draws on the best vineyards we cultivate in accordance with
rational winemaking and respect for the environment throughout
● We think there is no reason for the tradition to compete with innovative practices, and that is
possible to go hand in hand and improve together.
● Care, perfection and love are reflected in everything we do, from our own
grape transport, where we use small plastic containers at the oldest vineyards, and
young vineyards then small trailers.
● In addition to the selection of grapes in the vineyard, ALL wines of the Luis Cañas winery are
subject to a double selection. The first grapes are grabbed manually on the sorting table and then
each grape berry looks on the Mistral table so that only those of you can process it
of the highest quality.
● The finest processing. We use French and American barricade barrels, which
they come from the world's finest co-operatives. Barricade barrels continuously
and their average age is three years. Perfect luxury.
● We are bound by quality and society.
● In 2006, we launched a pioneering project in Spain, namely the construction of a residence
● The 40-person facility offers separate bedrooms for men and women, toilets,
a laundry room, an industrial kitchen, a dining room, a relaxation room and a nursing home. In
2008, this initiative was awarded by the Dato Económico magazine a prestigious Premio Solidarity Award
a to Empresa Solidaria.
● Because we always work in harmony with the environment and quality, we are
became the first winemaking in Spain, which was certified by BRC by the association
AENOR, ISO 14000 certificate and ISO 9002 quality certificate and we have opened our own
wastewater treatment plant.
Other interesting articles
DO Ribera del Duero from harsh conditions to the best wines
Invitation to this year's Ginfest
Eguren - a family possessed by the pursuit of vineyard excellence
Jamon iberico - the pride of Spain
Jamon Joselito - The Legend Between Hams
Amaren - Winery dedicated to Mother Luis Canas
Picturesque La Rioja
Everything you did not know about a jam
Jamon is a Spanish name for pork ham. Jamador curado is the name for dried ham of ham (back) or shoulder (front).
How to Slice the Jam
Here you will find instructions on how to proceed with slicing the jam.